If you look up online, you will find that the modern definition of a foodie is someone who is “keenly interested in food, especially in eating and cooking.” Popularized in the United States, it wasn’t long till it spread throughout Great Britain in the 1985 publication of ‘The Official Foodie Handbook’ and subsequently worldwide. Although it is not an elite term per se, so one can say that a foodie would be someone who loves to eat due to his or her interest or hobby.
On a more personal level, I do not think “foodie” is the right term for me. I would more appropriately coin myself as someone who appreciates good things in life, one of which happens to be food. Okay, I might be a little obsessed with food than a normal person and one might find that my Facebook feeds consists of giving recommendations to the new eateries or sharing innovative cooking recipes. As much as I enjoy the paean of appreciation from my friends and followers, as an avid food blogger, I am willing to share and spread the joy of good food.
Let me share some of the things that go through the minds of a foodie/food lover every day
- When it comes to trying something new, you and your tummy both are in for it. Spicy chili squid, check; slow-cooked pork ribs, check; poached salmon with mustard dressing, check. You get the idea, right?
- It is believed that no matter what, food is something that never leaves you and loves you more than you love it. No matter what phase you are in your life, or your feeling, food will never hurt you.
- Want to make up for a bad day in office? Eat. Want to go out and chill with your friends? Eat. Want to make up for a fight you had with your BFF? Eat.
- If you love food and you know it, eating becomes your favorite part of the day. One might look forward to eating and once done, you are probably planning what to eat next. Happens with me post lunch mostly.
- You are the go-to person when someone in your group is unable to finish their food. Be it the last slice of pizza, or the last two spoons of your chilly garlic fried rice, you are the captain who does not believe in abandoning the ship at any time.
When you embrace yourself as a food lover or foodie, you are well versed with the local ingredients that are used by the restaurant. In fact, you do not have to wait for the waiter to explain how an item is cooked sous-vide. You are well versed with different cooking styles and techniques. If you are not trying new joints, you are probably exploring the latest episodes of MasterChef, looking up for recommendations from a reliable food blog or checking out some Youtube culinary artist and getting ideas on the new things to try.
This is a fun hobby to have and quite satisfying to maintain. I mean what is there to complain when you have good food on your plate that satisfies your appetite and palette. If you want others to take advice from you, my advice would be to always back your opinion with relevant information and honest views. This way you will not only encourage others but also create a loyal base who can rely on your and take food advise from you.
Start penning your thoughts and show the world by spreading good word about food. Don’t judge food and you will never be disappointed. Like, ever.
Sanjay Jhunjhunwala, Food Blogger